View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on weather the whistle was blown.
Actually, it looked like the umpire was blowing the whistle at the 1.9 second mark since he was looking at the player that was requesting the time out and had his hand in the air to stop the clock. I couldn't hear the whistle as it was very loud.

I later talked to the Referee about the situation and he said the Umpire came over to him and said when he looked at the clock after the request for a time out, and after he blew his whistle, it said 0.0 therefore, they called the game.
As I stated, I was in the stands and it looked like the umpire's hand came up with 1.9 seconds left on the clock...but the clock kept running. The Referee was looking at Coach B who was yelling for a travel violation on the made basket, so the Referee had no information about the clock.

As far as the Alternate Official: We have an Alternate for every playoff game in H.S. ball (District, Regional and State) the Alternate is there in case of injury but can also be asked questions about game situations if so desired.
The funny thing about this was the Alternate was not at the table as he had gotten up to get a head start for the locker room. This was 44 seconds before the half and he was standing beside the Coach's bench, that is how the Coach saw him make the 2 second gesture.

I still don't see why, if you have definite knowledge, you wouldn't put up the full time that was lost in both situations. Why do you have to subtract the "lag" time of 1 second if you know the correct time to put back on the clock?

RD