View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
If this statement you made about learning is true, then you have to realize that there is a time to listen. You have been given sound advice in this thread by people with more experience than you and an understanding of the rules that many of us may never attain, and yet you choose to ignore it. Now is the time to listen, and to learn.

I would add this -
Disagreeing is not the problem Jimpiano - I and most everyone else routinely disagree with people on this board at one point or another.

You have to have some level of recognition that there are people who know more than you and take what they say and learn from it or be able to present a lucid argument that they may learn from it. If you think a certain way about a rule and it's incorrect, when those who know correct you and show you where you are incorrect, then THAT a method of learning. There is no shame in being incorrect about a rule application. The Umpires on this board IMO possess a higher level of dedication and work DAILY to improve themselves through communication and evaluation of rules and scenarios.

About now is where you SHOULD man up and say "I understand, thank you" and actually learn from it. You don't stand fast in face of overwhelming evidence from the highest levels of the ASA (I'm not one of those, but they are here and they wrote the test question you are arguing). Thats NOT learning. That's simply being disagreeable to be disagreeable.

Since you probably really don't know, your first tip usually that you are incorrect is when Irishmike says you are incorrect. That's your "oh sh..t" moment that you run to your book and reevaluate what you think. Hes forgotten more than you know. That's just simple fact, evidenced by hundreds of posts teaching people and his position within the ASA; he is a resource that is invaluable here. I do admit he can tick you off at times , but the man knows.

Now really, pull your head out and truly be here to learn, as you say you are, and stop the BS.

Theres no brown on my nose is there?

Now I'm outta here, the season starts for me today (no NFHS this year ) I cant wait to get on the field. A-ball showcase woot!

Last edited by wadeintothem; Sat Mar 31, 2007 at 10:10am.