View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
I have never dodged the question.

That scenario is a clear infield fly rule situation.

The test question ignored that leaving only one correct answer.

I said that given that same scenario in an actual game the infield fly rule would be invoked. My answer to both is to rule by the book.

In the test question the umpire is correct in allowing the run to score because it came before the interfernce. Maybe the question was used to get us to think about the rule and suggest changes....Greymule thinks so, and I agree.

But in real life the situation, as described , is not that simple.
And the rule book has other citations that would allow an umpire to reach a different conclusion.

But the original point of GREYMULE is valid. Discussing the play has, also, led to a deeper reading of other rules and interpretations.

That is always good.
I have a feeling this will be like yelling into a hurricane, but here goes...

For you to say you haven't dodged the question is ludicrous. Unless, of course, you don't consider makig up your own question as dodging someone else's.

The situation description did not give you enough information to hold your breath and say "infield fly ... infield fly ... infield fly ..." over and over. Unless, of course, you just blindly call any pop up with less than 2 outs and a force play at 3rd to be an infield fly. I guess that would make the judgment, well, cookbook. But it would no longer actually be judgment.