View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
What do you do when the coach argues about a play (no call) that is not in your jurisdiction?

Examples would be:

You are BU. A catch/no catch outside the "v" or a runner's lane violation.
Actually catch/no catch is a call.

And I have a bit of a different take on this than most.
If it is truly a 'no call' situation I'm not sending the coach to my partner, I'm sending him back to the dugout where he belongs.
One of my jobs is to keep the game moving, I'm not going to delay it by diverting the coach and delaying the game further. If it was a no call then nothing happened to warrant a call and I can tell the coach that as easily as my partner and then get on with the game.
If there's a rules issue at stake that's a different issue, but if it's a 'no call' a simple
"coach that's a judgement issue, let's get on with the game" will suffice 98% of the time.
Now, if you have reason to believe your partner made a bad judgement on the no call then you decide if you want to throw him under the bus, some will call that letting him fight his own battle, or nip it in the bud quickly and get on with it.
I think if you have a good partner and the discussion gets into the 2% range then he'll be out taking responsibility for the no call on his own. But 98% of the time I just made "Miller Time" come a bit earlier. Every minute I cut off the game increases my pay rate. I like giving myself raises.

I'm not advocating this for anything but 'no call' situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
At the same time, how could you comment on a play that you didn't see (or briefly saw and had a terrible look at)?
I think commenting on a play is a problem many umpires have. Too many times I hear umpires justifying their call to an irate coach. The less talking you do and the less justifying you do the less trouble you get in.