Thread: Whaddaya Do?
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Tonight was a varsity HS game. I am PU and in my pregame, I said "I have the lead runner on tags with multiple runners on base". To me, that's pretty self-explanitory. In the fourth inning with R1 on 2nd and R2 on first, the batter hits a ball to left center and R1 rounds 3rd heading for home. As the throw comes to F2, R1 heads back to 3rd. F2 makes a snap throw back to 3rd and actually puts the tag on her. My partner, who moved into the infield, is right there - everyone in the park is looking at her waiting for the call and she looks at me and says "that's your call". Whaddaya do?

I made the call and explained to her in great detail between innings what is meant by my taking the lead runner. She thought I had the lead runner for EVERYTHING with multiple runners on base. Sheeeeeesh!

Of course, the situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that we date too! Therefore, I bailed her out, made the call - VERY late - and had a coach want to climb up my a$$ for it. She's a 3rd year umpire and should have known this - and I did tell her so and explained that she kinda hung me out on the play. How would you have handled this one (assuming it wasn't your girlfriend!)?
Hi Mountaineer,

I programmed this play (actually it was a fly ball to center field or left field with runners on 1st and 2nd) into my Umpire Mechanics Cd and it said:

1: The BU should release the lead runner to the PU and move to holding zone between 1st and 2nd base to make sure all touch base and if a play develops to move into best angle from there.

2: The PU is to move to his holding position between 3rd and home plate for he is responsible for a play at either one.

But I'm sure there are good arguments given by umpires on what works best for them. I guess the main thing is make sure your partner and you are on the same page. .Al

Last edited by Al; Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 12:47pm.