View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Longest game

This doesn't exactly fit the situation, but:

I once had a legion DH (2-7's) on a Saturday afternoon when the temp was 90+ deg and 100% humidity, the DH started at 1 PM. We get to 1 P.M. and I have no partner, so they pull some guy out of the stands to umpire. The game goes 15 innings, and 3 1/2 hours. The guy from the stands bails out after 9, so they get a new guy. this is in the days before everyone had a cell phone, so nobody called.

After a break, still no partner, and the second volunteer left, so they found a third guy. The second game goes 9 innings, and one side had a kid who learned from the Nieko brothers how to throw the knuckleball (he was a distant relative or something). By the time I go to the 7th inning of the second game, I was calling the middle one of about 3 of the knucklers I saw every pitch.

I called my assigner after I got home and complained. he said my partner had called 2 hours before the DH and cancelled.

I also had a BR state tourament game go 4 1/2 hours several years ago. The game went 14 innings, and I was at 1B in a 4 man crew when a throw took the 1B right into the running lane as the BR is coming to the 1B bag. It was bang, bang, and a huge, huge collision. Both kids had concussions, one of them was out cold and had a grade 2 concussion, the other broke bones in his arm, which necessitated a 45 minute delay for an ambulance and paramedics. I was 18' from a train wreck, and I still get sick when I think about that play, there was nothing you can do and you knew something bad was going to happen when that throw went inside the lane. The tying run also scored on the play.