View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
What I am wondering here is do you feel that it is something that can be used and would be useful in the instruction of new umpires in a clinic setting?
I think so Scott,

The clinic I attended this spring did not go very well. I came away thinking I didn't really learn very much. We went over a couple of rule changes that took a good amount of time. There was a couple of hundred umpires in the class and many times three or four of them talking at the same time. A lot of time was spent on things that I, and others as well, thought was of little value to most.

I think this Cd, if presented by someone with good skills in teaching, would have especially helped new umpires focus on how important good machanics are when working with a partner (or alone.) Of course, the Cd is for fast-pitch where the play level would produce the situations that the disk addresses.

If it doesn't rain tomorror I'll be working the plate for an 11/under girls fast-pitch scrimmage game. I was watching other scrimmage games where the umpire called the game from behind the circle. I talked to both coaches of tomorrow night's game and both said they want me behind the plate and not to worry about the calls at the bases. They have some girls that are fresh from coach-pitch and want them to get the feel of an umpire calling strikes and balls from behind the plate before the game opener next week. ...Al