View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
How I understood it from the 06 Clinic was for all intents and purposes the base becomes one base once the B/R situation was resolved and my hand out from 06 seems to indicate this as well.
It is my understanding that it becomes one base for ANY R, including B-R becomes R as a result of having reached 1B. Ref: Rule 8.2.M.6 Rule 8.2.M.7 and Rule 8.2.M.8.

It would probably make more sense to refer to the player who was a B-R, and has passed 1B and play has not yet ended as R0 (zero).

Quote:
ie.. from EZ Teams scenario - R1@1B - Liner caught by diving F3 who lands in foul territory. Can they use orange to make the out on R1 tagging up?
-----------------
If that is not allowed by rule, which I agree strictly written rules (and common sense) do not allow it..
By rule, I have an OUT here. As both defense is entitled to use the whole base while making a play on R; just as R is entitled to use the whole base in baserunning. Again, ref: Rule 8.2.M.6 Rule 8.2.M.7 and Rule 8.2.M.8.

Quote:
but then why does 8.2.M.4 exist at all?
How do you have a "definition force" at 1B?
You can have a "layman" force at 1B.
8.2.M.3 requires that defense must use white and B-R must use colored portion.

IMHO 8.2.M.4 should have been an EXCEPTION to 8.2.M.3 rather than a separate rule.

Without the EXCEPTION (aka 8.2.M.4) we would have a rule requiring B-R to be in a postion that could potentially interfere with the opportunity to put B-R out.

I don't know if this was the reason the rule was written as I was not there, but this is what makes the most logical case to me.