View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
This happened twice to me tonight..
I'm the PU.... B1 swings... bounces the ball off the plate and the comes to a rest 6" in front of the plate...
B1 just stands there in the box and the catcher reaches over to pick up the ball and is ready to throw it back to the pitcher.... In neither instance did they considered a playable ball.
I just stood there thinking someone would notice, but no one said anything. I finally said.. Ladies, that's a fair ball..
Thinking back about it now, by the time I finally said something, I feel like I put the batter in a disadvantage..
At what point do you step in and annouce a fair ball... Immediately... wait for a bit... or wait until they figure it out?
Thanks!
cl
Don't wait for anything. As soon as it happened, step back while removing the mask and point toward the fair side of the appropriatebase line. The batter and catcher doesn't really need to see it, that's why they have coaches, not to mention all the parents who will scream at them.