View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Since this thread has become so damn convoluted, let's start anew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Runner is out
- On any force out attempt from the foul side of first base the D and the O may use either portion of the base.

I understood this to mean the "common/lay" use of the term "Force Out" (as ASA uses elsewhere as well) as opposed to the specific written Force out definition, which would make the above make no sense.
To start, where does is state "Runner is out"? If you are referring to 8.2.M, it is the Batter-Runner, not the runner. Yes, in this instance the term "force out" is used in a common/lay manner for convenience and brevity. It should read "on any attempt to retire the batter-runner from the foul side of first base".
Quote:

How I understood it from the 06 Clinic was for all intents and purposes the base becomes one base once the B/R situation was resolved and my hand out from 06 seems to indicate this as well.

ie.. from EZ Teams scenario - R1@1B - Liner caught by diving F3 who lands in foul territory. Can they use orange to make the out on R1 tagging up?
The obvious answer to this question is yes.
Quote:

If that is not allowed by rule, which I agree strictly written rules (and common sense) do not allow it.. but then why does 8.2.M.4 exist at all?
Again, you are referencing a rule which applies to a BR only to that of a live ball appeal on a runner.
Quote:

How do you have a "definition force" at 1B?
You can have a "layman" force at 1B.
Covered this already.