View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 09:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Do you need to know the coverage areas as well? I believe that the women's coverage areas are the same as HS for 3-person -- EXCEPT that the Lead 's area doesn't stop at the 3-point arc; it extends all the way to the sideline. So in NCAAW, the Lead has primary coverage on a 3-point shot from the corner.

The coverage may also be slightly different regarding where the T and C coverages meet above the 3-point arc. In HS, the Trail has primary coverage all the way to the far lane line; but in NCAAW, they might split the top of the frontcourt right down the middle.

Mechanics-wise, NCAAW differs from HS in a few ways: they "walk and talk" while reporting a foul, and they use 2 hands to give the fouler's number. The right hand is the 10's digit and the left hand is the 1's digit, so that it reads normally to the scorer. So they report just like the NBA refs.

NCAAW also give responsibility for the last shot to the Center official always. It's NOT the official opposite the table, as in HS. Whoever is C, takes the last shot. This means that in the last shot clock possession of the half (or game, or OT period), the officials "lock down", they will NOT rotate. This is to ensure that there's no confusion over who the C is for the last shot. I believe the Lead may still come ball side if he/she needs to, but the outside officials will not complete the rotation. As I said, I think this is only in the last 30 seconds of a period.

I think those are the major ones. Coverage, last second, and reporting. There are obviously rule differences too, that you should be aware of, but I'm not the person to ask about that.

If I've got any of it wrong so far, somebody who's more accomplished than I am on the women's side will correct it for you.

Good luck at camp!