View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Wade - maybe you should redefine your question then, as you actually asked more than one question in your OP. Jim answered one of them, but that seems to have made you angry. I grant you - Pianoman bugs the heck out of me too ... but not because of his response in THIS thread. He answered ONE of your questions.
No he is going on and on about safety blah blah, as if I am asking about the reason for the doublebase.. which is obviously implemented for safety. I'm asking for the reasoning behind using the term "force" in 8.2.4.m inappropriately, if not to make it apply to situations like this.

Quote:
Which question did you really want answered?
The thread is a carry over from ezteams where irish stated in response to umpires who were stating that the defender could use the orange bag:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmike
Can anyone cite an ASA rule permitting a defender to use the orange portion of the base when playing on anyone other than the BR?
So I went to my 06 Clinic notes - and that is exactly the implication of this rule - it is one base after the b/r situation is resolved and how I was enforcing it last year. I stated in my OP that I understood that the rule means for all intents and purposes, it is one base after the b/r situation.

8.2.M.4 allows defender on forces (obviously not technical definition forces, it means "force out" plays) i.e. plays where the defender must only touch the bag to get the out to use the orange bag if they are on the foul side.

But when Mike enters a convo and asks something like that, it adds a big fat shade of gray that makes it less clear... because obviously this exact situation is not covered by the rule in exact language.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Wed Mar 28, 2007 at 08:35am.