View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 09:58pm
Chain of Fools

1. Would officials in your area be interested in clinics developed by an outside company but largely using local officials for handlng the details and presentations?

Doubtful - I can't see our association as a whole paying an outside source. Individual officials would feel free to take advantage of it. As for local officials handling a presentation, I think a well respected outsider would have a greater effect.

2. Do you feel your local and/or state associations do a poor job of evaluating officials especially for determining playoff assignments?

No- to work playoffs in NC, an official must be a Class 1 or 2 official and this rating is based on test scores and local & state clinic meeting attendance. That is not to say that local politics doesn't rear its head in the selection of the later rounds.

3. Do local associations provide training and mentoring programs to help new officials?

An area I feel we are lagging is training. We have no formal program.

4. Do you feel local associations would find value in purchasing some of these products and services?

Possibly

5. What do you feel is the best development tool that could be offered in your area?

Film analysis using standard 5 man NF mechanics. I've had the opportunity to review college film but I don't work 7 man so I come away without a full understanding of what my level of officiating needs to see.

6. Does your area already have clinics for officials? Are they well-attended? What do you like/not like about them?

We have local associating meetings and a state clinic meeting. It allows us the chance to see each other when in fact we will probably work with only half of the members in a given season. There tends to be too much B.S.'ing and war stories told when we need to focus on rules and "spirit" and mechanics.