View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Does it really have to stop anywhere? Sure, MLB has the right to do this, as would each individual team. I just don't see how it's helpful.
Celebrities are always taking up causes that aren't exactly universally supported.
This is for kids with cancer. Is there really anyone who's backing cancer in this fight?
Celebrities are doing so in their personal lives. Major League Baseball players are employees of a team and a league. This is no different than the NFL or NBA which does not allow personal expression on their uniforms or the players will be fined. Not only am I not surprised by the ruling, it should be expected. I know as an official I cannot wear personal expressions of charity or other political statements. That would be considered unprofessional. This is not about the specific charity, but the over all expression of such things and following a standard. If any player wants to support a charity, they have plenty of opportunities to do so. They do not need to put something on their uniform to show support for a charity.

Peace