View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I for one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
As sec'y of the rules committee, Mr. Adams could be expected to be in on their deliberations. However, I doubt they considered such a case, and I suspect him of "judicial activism" here.

It is legal to throw yourself a forward pass if you're an eligible receiver (or you could get a return pass after giving it to someone else). If the intention of the 5-yards and AFD rule is to prevent the defense from gaining an advantage (as opposed to the personal foul, which is to prevent broken necks), then why should the defense in just this case not get the full penalty for using an illegal tactic to impede the potential receiver?

Robert
I for one, will take Dr. Adams' word on any give situation as the Gospel. On the occasions that he wouldn't "consult" the committee, he certainly was there to discuss the intent of the rules when and as they were written.

I also tend to agree that you cannont simultaneously be a runner and eligible receiver. It just doesn't make sense.