Thread: Obstruction?
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 03:08pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
BG - this isn't as hard as you're trying to make it. If NFHS wanted this rule called the way you and your supposed "association" are calling it, they'd have written the rule to match those other org's that want it called that way. Surely you can understand that the mere fact that they didn't write it that way tells you VERY CLEARLY that they don't want it called the way you are calling it. You (and/or your association) are misinterpreting this rule in a manner that is NOT a judgement call, and will not hold up under protest, assuming the authority ruling on the protest is not similarly misled.
I am trying to make this as simple as I possibly can. I don't know why NFHS wrote the rules the way they did. I'm sure that over the years the rule has evolved. All I stated was that we were instructed as I have described, nothing more, nothing less. I am just following the instructions given. Everyone else is doing the mud-slinging. Personally I could care less how the rule is written. I just want to know how I am expected to interpret the rule, which is what I stated. I am perfectly capable of making a judgment call but I need to base my judgment on something. In the absence of anything either verbal or written from IHSA I'm going to interpret according to how I was instructed. Our instructor is also the liaison to IHSA from our association. What else do you want me to do?

Anybody can apply logic to any part of the phrases "IMMINENT" and "ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A PLAY" and have it slant one way or the other. I could easily say the reason it is not worded that the defensive player must have the ball is the following. To state the fielder has to have the ball might be interpreted to preclude any other factor from entering into the decision such as - how much of the base was blocked, if the runner slid short was it because he slid short or was prevented from sliding further..

Who knows, maybe they don't want to do it for liability reasons - I can't imagine why, but who knows. Just like the must slide/runner NEVER HAS to slide. Either he does or doesn't