View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsjc
I don't neccessarily agree with the grooming requirements of our association however, it is made perfectly clear to all members and it is enforced. In fact, I where a goatee whenever I am not umpiring. Day before my first game... off it comes. The thought process of the association is that it wants all its umpires to look professional. Same thought process as the Yankees. I have to say that it does look kinda bad when you see an umpire with hair down to his shoulders or a day old beard. As far as our assignor getting his fee... he gets his $ regardless of whether I take $ from the teams or not. I live in a small town... my kids all played little league, Babe Ruth, American Legion, ect. When I do games in my town, I sometimes choose to donate my fee back to the organization. Its an uncomplicated thing.
Now you had to make me go grab my soapbox.

I am a professional; I am a controller for a multi-million dollar non-profit organization. I wear a mustache & goatee combo (whatever you want to call it. Believe me when I say there is nothing unprofessional about properly worn facial hair.

The conceit that any and all facial hair is unprofessional is rooted in a 1950s mindset (that or just jealousy from people who cannot grow a reasonable beard). All that banning all facial hair gets you is the loss of a good portion of qualified umpires.