View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Done chewing now!

Quote:
Originally posted by egausch
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Time and distance is not requirement for obtaining/establishing a legal guarding position against an offensive player in control of the ball because any player in control of the ball must expect to be guarded from the moment he gains control of the ball. An offensive player without the ball has a reasonable expectation of not always being guarded.
Hmmmm! This is interesting stuff and an insight I hadn't heard before. I think I like this, but I'll have to chew on it a while longer. Sort of implies that the offensive player with the ball, "must expect" that a defender could jump in front of him at anytime and that he, the player with the ball, is responsible for any contact whether he can avoid it or not. Hmmmmm.....chew...chew...chew
EG
My intent on this topic was to create some discussion on the, validity of and basis behind, the rules concerning block/charge. My confusion is not from the interpretation of the rules or how to enforce/use them. This may be an inapropriate topic for this forum and better presented to rules committees, etc. Replys to the effect of 'because the rules say so" was not what I was hoping for.
Looking outside the "rules are the rules" box, it seems to me, these rules do not adequately decide the call where B1 jumps in front of A1 at the last second, drawing the charge. The rules should resolve this to a block, IMO. If A1 is running and dribbling and B1 jumps in front, it's physically impossible for A1 to avoid the contact. I don't believe this is equivalent to A1 being out of control. Further, the only way A1 can avoid this "expected" contact is to not run at all! Not exactly what basketball is about. Running in many ways is the same as jumping. Both feet are off the ground for a large part of the time. Verticallity covers the jumper when in the air. Running is like horizontal jumping, if you will. How can a running dribbler be expected to stop on a dime when in the air? Maybe there should be some sort of horizontallity definition .The rules need to provide more guidance, then simply who got their first, etc. Ruling this a charge just doesn't make much common sense to me and likely causes others to be confused as well.
When a defender jumps in front, at the last second, he's attempting to stop the advancing of the ball and also trying to draw the charge. The former can easily be accomplished by establishing a position in the path of the dribbler that also gives the dribbler a reasonable amount of time and distance to stop or change direction. The defender can still move laterally to stop the advancing of the ball.
The only real purpose of jumping in front is to create contact and draw the foul, which is completely within the rules. Players know it, coaches know it, everyone knows it. It completely goes against the current POEs concerning rough play in general.
I've seen some bad injurys as a result of this kind of "legal" defense. I'm sure most of you have too.
The rules do a lousy of job of preventing this type of contact, IMO. I see this as the same as encouraging it.
EG