View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 07:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never Say Never ....

From Jurassic Referee: "It should be made clear that the advantage/disadvantage philosophy(otherwise known as NFHS rule 4-27) also applies to fouls only, not violations".

From Jurassic Referee (a few weeks ago): "Just for the record, I personally don't think that you can take any kind of simplistic view and apply it wholely to game situations. There are certain violations that I think that even the FED rulesmakers would probably agree, if you twisted their arms, that some discretion(read: advantage/disadvantage) is needed to make an appropriate call. Examples might be 3-seconds and the 10-second count on a free-throw shooter. My point all along was that you just couldn't try to apply advantage/disadvantage indiscriminately to violations. Most violations must be called".

I hope that Jurassic Referee and I can agree on this: "Most violations must be called". I would like to add that almost all violations must be called, with almost all meaning, pretty much all violations must be called, but every once in a great while, the principle of advantage/disadvantage can be used, with great discretion, to not call a violation. Can we agree on that?