View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Rule 4-40 - Screen [and forum searches?]

Apparently when the FAQ says you can search for words it actually excludes strings like "4-40"... (or 4-39, which is what the definition for Screen used to be) Why doesn't it just allow a pure character string search?
Quote:
Originally Posted by From the FAQ
You can search for posts based on username, word(s) in the post or just in the subject, by date, and only in particular forums.
Anyway, one of the rules I wanted to review over the summer is 4-40, screening. There are no case book examples in the rule books I have and the rule seems clear enough. For discussion, though, the rule does not always require contact before a screen is considered illegal. For example, what is seen frequently is A1 screening from the backside and he/she (usually she, it seems) does not stop short of contact with B1... however, if A1 does stop short of contact with B1's backside I would normally not call the illegal screen unless B1 subsequently collides with the screener. In contrast, if A1 sets a screen on a moving B1 without giving the required time/distance and B1 avoids contact... well, here I would tend to call the illegal screen even without appreciable contact.

If A1's screen is set too close and B1 turns to navigate around A1 without significant contact, would most of you consider this a no call? The illegal screen actually happens before B1 makes any move and the screen may easily alter the path taken, so I'm thinking this is something I should call tighter - i.e. call the backside, non-contact, illegal screen once it is set, without waiting for any subsequent contact because any evasive maneuver B1 has to make is an advantage team A gains from the illegal screen.

Anyone have older [pre 2003-04] rule books which include Case references for screens? Am I overlooking an POE?