View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 05:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
What do you mean by "defend the basket"? Trying to block the shot?
If you try to go CHARGE, you don't have enough time and distance to make it, imo. NFHS 4-27-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
If by "intelligent" you mean "hey, it's a tough call, let's go with a foul on the defense", then you are not a real basketball official.
What I mean here and I stated my position very clearly earlier in the thread. You don't have enough information by NFHS rules and standards. They want you to watch the feet of the defense to determine if he's set, which nobody at this point in the game is going to be watching anybody feet from the Lead position. You are suppose to watch from the waste up. Even if you determine that defense has LGP, how can you say honestly that the offensive player hasn't use that last step when we can barely determine from watching the damn tape afterwards. There's no way as an official at real time speed you can determine that on the offensive player. So you reason by watching the defense along, that the defender got set, charge, when you don't even know the status of the offense! This is a rulebook call, not a game time deicision call!

If your position is I don't care about the offense because I know the defense is set. That is not an intelligent decision. Again, this is a rulebook call. You have completely disregarded the offense in this play. By definition of the rules, we are supposed to create a balance of fair play. My position is simply this. The only defendable call the official can make here is a block. Anything else is a guess. We might as well remove rule 4-23-4b because you never looked at the offensive player to determine if this was true. There wasn't enough time.