View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with what has been said. No where in the rules is contact encouraged. Contact is either legal or not. Sometimes we have to make the judgement call on who realyy was legal and who wasnt. The gray area is when both players had terrible position etc.

I think a better term for player control foul is player out of control foul. Most of the times when there is a PC it is when the offense is out of control. The rules (by stating there is no time and distance) mena that a person with the ball must be in control at all times and must be ready to be defended at any moment.

The idea of defense is to stop the player with the ball from scoring the offense better expect something to be thrown at them. If the offense can't react too bad. They foul and turnover the ball.

There is no unfair advanatge if the defense jumps in at the last minute because the rules committe has defined it as fair. Dont get wrapped up in somesort of unfair advantage thing. If player gets in front and beats them to the spot, they got their first, it's a charge.The rules committee wrote the rules and until we change them, we enforce them.

It does not matter what the coaches encourage, coaches will use the rules to their advantage and if they dont then they probably should not be coaching.

If there are only 4 seconds on the clock in a one point game I dont have to inbound the ball ( if clock is running)...

I foul to stop the clock...

I call timeout after my team just scored a made basket.

I take the full 30 seconds to replace a disqualified player.

I take two timeouts in a row.

I had players interlock on defense because the rules didnot prevent it, but now they do.

I run a stack parallel to the baseline but far enough away.

I run a stack perpendicular to the basleline any where I want to.

Do coaches try and manipulate rules... YEP and many times the rules have changed... Remember Jimmie Valvano? But as long as we call the rule, if it is unfair somebody will complain