View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Yabut....when the rules are written in such a way where you can not possibly make an accurate call, then what do you have?

When you are talking a split-second, how can you honesty say that you can watch the defenders feet get set and then in the same split-second determine if the offensive players feet has left the ground, and then make an accurate call? It's impossible, you would need to sets of eyes and two heads to pull that off, if we are talking a split-second.

Give both the players here one second more. I got a clear an easy call, either way. Defense, with another second here is clear and set b/4 the offensive player has even begun the shooting motion, offense! Give the offensive player one more second, and he is off the ground b/4 defense is set, easy block call. Take away that second and I got to guess at one or the other. If I'm watching the defense and I'm watching the defenders feet, and I verify he's set, within a split-second I can not determine accurately where the offensive players feet is because now I got a collision on my hands. Which came first, the egg or the chicken. If I'm watching the offensive player, and I'm watching the feet, there is no way I can tell you accurately within a split-second with all the other stuff that's going on, that the defenders feet was set before the collision.

Another thing you have to consider which has not been talked about much here is time and distance. You can not just jump in the front of someone that is moving with or without the ball. If, the offensive player was just dribbling the ball here and we had the defensive player jump in front of him like at the basket, and the offensive player continues to dribble, we have all pretty unanimously concluded, that in the 2nd video it is a block or a no call. Well, what if this would have happen at the basket with the game in the balance. Would you have called an offensive foul if the player would have continued to dribble instead of shoot? Notice how, both defenders in both videos did the same thing, bailed out to avoid the contact, or flop if you like that better. I believe I am the only one, with the exception of maybe one other person here who believes that the 2nd video is an offensive foul, if and only if, the call at the basket is a charge. In fact, the guy in the 2nd video at half court established LGP even better than the guy at the basket. Yet the play at the basket is a charge and the guy at half court is a block, or no-call. The FEd. needs to look at this video because you can not see two things at once, especially where they want you to make the determination here, which is ground level, the feet. You should sent it to them.

When we have a play like this happen in a game, we want basketball people to be the ones to decide. What I mean is that, I want someone who has played the game to be in the position to determine the game b4 I want someone who has just studied and mastered the rules and has no feel for the game. IOW, I want a basketball decision to determine who wins the championship and not a rulebook decision to determine who goes and who stays. Remember, the rules are there to create a balance of fair play, and we want them to be intelligently applied and enforced. Someone who understands the game and the rules will make a more informed decision, then someone who just knows the rulebook, imho. If you have ever been airborne and have someone run underneath you, you know the offensive player is more at risk of injury than if you just ran underneath him while he's dribbling. I also know that I didn't have contact to the torso to verify the defender was set before contact occurred. A basketball decision is a block, a rulebook decision is a charge. The basketball decision took more into consideration than just the one paragraph in the rulebook. The basketball decision was called more accurately, the rulebook call was guessed, although it was guessed correctly in this case, it was not an intelligently applied enforcement of the rule. It was a guess!

I don't know about you and I don't too particualry care who win or loses the game, but I definitely don't want the outcome to be determined by a guess! How's that JR, for in your opinion, having never read a rulebook?
Quoting the Billy Madison movie:

"[Old School], what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."