View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School

1)When you are talking a split-second, how can you honesty say that you can watch the defenders feet get set and then in the same split-second determine if the offensive players feet has left the ground, and then make an accurate call? It's impossible, you would need to sets of eyes and two heads to pull that off, if we are talking a split-second.
Give both the players here one second more. I got a clear an easy call, either way. Defense is clear and set b4 the offensive player has even begun the shooting motion, offense! Give the offensive player one more second, and he is off the ground b4 defense is set, easy block call. Take away that second and I got to guess at one or the other. If I'm watching the defense and I'm watching the defenders feet, and I verify he's set, within a split-second I can not determine accurately where the offensive players feet is because now I got a collision on my hands. Which came first, the egg or the chicken. If I'm watching the offensive player, and I'm watching the feet, there is no way I can tell you accurately within a split-second with all the other stuff that's going on, that the defenders feet was set before the collision.

2) Another thing you have to consider which has not been talked about much here is time and distance. You can not just jump in the front of someone that is moving with or without the ball at the last second. If, the offensive player was just dribbling the ball here and we had the defensive player jump in front of him like at the basket, and the offensive player continues to dribble, we have all pretty unanimously concluded, that in the 2nd video it is a block or a no call.

How's that JR, for in your opinion, having never read a rulebook?
How's that, Old School? Well, I'd say that you just tied for the dumbest post ever made on this forum. Again!

1) I hate to break this to you, but there is no rules requirement that the defender's feet must be set while guarding. There is a requirement needed to establish LGP, but that's not what you're talking about. I realize that you don't own a rulebook, so I'll cite the applicable rule for you:
NFHS Rule 4-23-3--After the initial legal guarding position is obtained:
a)The guard may have have one or both feet on the playing court or be airborne, provided he/she has inbounds status.
c) The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not towards the opponent when contact occurs.
d)The guard may raise hands or jump within his/her own vertical plain.
e)The guard may turn or duck to to absorb the shock of imminent contact.

Does that sound like the defender has to be set, Goober? That's Officiating 101 for anybody that owns a rule book or has had any training at all.

2) You can't jump in front of someone that is moving with the ball at the last second, eh? We have unanimously concluded that it's a block, eh? Who is "unanimous", Goober? All of your buddies down at the Rec center?
Again, seeing that you don't own a rule book, let me cite the applicable rule for you:
NFHS Rule 4-23-4--Guarding an opponent WITH the ball or a stationary opponent without the ball: (a) NO time or distance is required to take a legal position."
"Time and distance" are only relevant, rules-wise, when you're guarding an opponent WITHOUT the ball. That's NFHS rule 4-23-5. Nobody has been talking about it here because it just isn't relevant in any freaking way to the play being discussed.

To sum up, Goober, if you don't own a rule book and you don't know the basics, you can look awful stoopid when you guess at something like you did above, and miss it so badly.

Now repeat after me:

I am a troll.

Again...

I am a troll.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Mar 15, 2007 at 09:38pm.