Thread: Rules to Ignore
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Our association tells us to umpire according to the rules. We as umpires don't make the rules, we enforce them. I hate some rules but try to always call the game by the rules. I have heard many, many, of my fellow umpires say to each other that we need to call strikes, and outs. I fully agree but I will not call outs just to end the games and go home. I look at it this way. I love baseball. Always have. I played it, Ive coached it, Ive watched it, and I now umpire it. I have a son who played ball and loved it as much as I did. I remember watching him bust his butt many times trying to beat out a bunt, or steal a base, or stretch a double into a triple many times. Nothing bothered me more than an umpire calling him out just because it was a close play and he wanted to find an out. If a player tries to steal 2nd, and makes a great hook slide around the tag, there is no way we should call him out even if the ball got to the bag 2 seconds ahead of the runner. If I call that kid out... I am taking away a steal from that kid. If I call a kid out at 1st on a close play, even if I know he was safe... but it was a bang bang play and I could steal an out... I am taking a hit away from that kid. Nothing bothers me more than umpires that get to the field at the start of a game thinking of ways to get the game over as quickly as possible. Call the game right. The kids work hard and deserve it.