View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
The posts about the ground rule - or lack of ground rule - double prompted me to somehow remember a little thing I had flash through my mind Tuesday morning while in the throes of 41.5 hours without sleep (long story).

Anyway...
How many of you walk the field before a game or tournament?

I'm not the caped crusader of walking fields, but I will walk a field (with my partner if present) if it is the first time I am at a field. If nothing else, I walk the infield and make sure the bases are in the right place and they are secure (a nice little kick is often a good security check).

I know practically all of you lead busy lives and if you can get to a site 30 minutes before a game takes something slightly short of a miracle...but it seems the practice of walking the field...or even checking the bases...is falling into disuse.

OK...back to my cave. Hoping sunshine for all

Hey Bkbjones,

I always go to the field early. More than once I had to go to the ground crew to get them to change a T-Ball field to a coach pitch field, or vice versa. Lines in the wrong place, etc. There's really no excuse for that as they have the schedule of who is playing on what field. A time or two we had some wet spots on the infield and by the dug-outs that needed some attention.

After umpiring a coach-pitch game I stopped by to watch the last few minutes of a T-ball game and noticed second base was in the wrong place. I guess none of the coaches or the umpire even noticed it. Even the 1st and 3rd base coaches didn't notice there wasn't a direct line from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd.

Nothin' like fun at the ole' ball park! .Al