View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

I have the luxury of working the same fields most of the time, and I do check them MOST of the time - the infield every time, the outfield about once a week. When on a new field, I always check it (this goes for football as well ... a much longer task). Only in tournies do I do a less cursory inspection, usually because time does not permit, and we can (hopefully) trust that tourney directors have done their due diligence before any games start. But even in tourneys, the bases and plate get a kick and both gates get checked (if there are any to worry about). I try to check the netting behind home often - something probably overlooked in many field checks. I saw a kid get hit through a hole in a net - luckily it was in the leg as he was in the stands, but that could have been a disaster. I've checked ever since.