View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I understand that it is ignored and that all those plays are violations, but the rule says it is a violation for being the "first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court."
Whereas part of the A.R. says "is the first to receive the ball."
These have different meanings and should be called in different ways. The play that I mentioned earlier (Play 2 in my post) should not be a violation according to the wording of the rule. There needs to be a stipulation such as "next player" or "second player" or "besides the player who is in control of the ball when the player returns to the court." I know that the people who write the rulebook aren't supposed to be English majors, but I don't think this make sense.

From a competition stand point, why not make it a violation for a player to just leave the floor like NFHS. Let's suppose the player goes out of bounds to make a screen work more effectively so the other team has to switch. The offense then dumps it into the post player who now has a mismatch and they gain an advantage even without the guy who went out of bounds touching the ball. It also makes it much easier to call and takes the guesswork and confusion out of it.