View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
To our Fedlandia friends:

I was at a local rules meeting where we got into a mechanics discussion. A couple of umpires remarked that they had recently been to another local association meeting in another city, and they learned "new" mecahnics.

They were told that the BU was never to go into C, and almost every call was to be handled by the PU at 3B. I assume that does not include straight steals of 3B or time plays, but who knows.

Is this someone who is buying into our good friend Carl Childress' Mechanics 2000 material, or are they strictly following the FED Umpires Manual mechaics, which I have not read in a while?

Maybe I'm just an old man, but I still believe BU should carry the BR to 3B, with R2 only BU has the tag and play at 3B on a fly ball, and throwbacks to a play at 3B after a throw to 1B are best handled by the BU, as well as a few other situations.

Any comments? Thank you for yours.
The way I do it in 2 man mechanics, BU has all bases all the time except 3 occasions.

1. R1, R2 tag situation. PU takes R2 into 3rd.
2. R1, base hit, PU takes R1 into 3rd only. BU still has touch responsibility at 2nd.
3. R3, R1 same as #2.