View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 06:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Sometimes, if the play appears to be getting ugly (possible injury) and with neither player having solid control, I will call a jump in order to arrest additional action. This is not per rule, but my choice.
I take exception to your first paragraph concerning the play getting ugly. The scenario in your first paragraph is not different that the scenario in your second paragraph. It is my opinion that officials call held balls too soon. It is not an official's job to arrest additional action. If a foul occurs before then call the foul, but do not call a held ball when there is none just to prevent the possibility of a foul.[/B]
Mark,you can take exception with me,too.I've called quick jump balls,just like Mick,if I felt the situation warranted it.I don't think you can really fault an official if he's doing it with the idea of stopping possible problems with potential rough play,and the quick jump ball would not have any real effect on the final score.The call depends on what the official wants to accomplish at that particular point in that particular game.Might not be by the book,but it can save everybody a lot of headaches at times--and not just the referees.
Mea culpa,too!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 26th, 2002 at 08:50 AM]