View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 08:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Let's try this one.

A has a frontcourt endline throw-in at the close down position. A sets up a 3-person wall parallel to the sideline. Defense is stupid and doesn't have someone on either side of the wall. Ball is passed to the middle guy, who passes to the thrower-in who is now behind the 3-point line. A defender on the key side of the wall, which is very near the endline, goes around the wall by stepping OOB. Let's even say quite a bit OOB for arguments sake. That is, both feet stepped OOB, if only one of them a few inches.

Do you call a T? A player voluntarily left the playing area to gain an obvious advantage.

Let's say that it's near the end of the 4th quarter, A down by 2 with a good shooter as the thrower-in. B1 steps OOB to go around the wall, and even jumps to block the 3-point shot by A and gets a piece of the ball. Do you call a T here?

Just throwing it out there.
Good question,Mikey!If the defensive player goes completely OOB to avoid a screen on the baseline,I'd probably call the T if he got a piece of the shot.He did gain an advantage.If he didn't block the shot or make the shooter alter it,I'd probably pass,but I'd whisper to him to stay inbounds next time.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 25th, 2002 at 07:36 PM]