View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 08:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by trippingants4134
when a player fouls out...how many minutes does the coach have to decide on a substitution??

when a ball is held by two players...how long does the ball need to be held for it to be called a jump ball?

Thanks
a Concerned Coach...
When a player has committed his or her 5th foul, the ideal situation is to have the scorekeeper notify you as you're reporting the foul. An experienced official will already know that that player just picked up his 5th foul.

After you have completed your signals, etc. to the table, the calling official notifies the head coach of the fouled out player that a player has fouled out. At this point, the coach has 30 seconds to make a substitution. You then proceed to tell the player that he has fouled out. Depending on the situation, you might want to ask the timer to time 30 seconds for you. In this case, I usually ask him to give me a nod at 20 seconds, where I will ask the coach to provide a substitute.

Edit:

There's no time requirement for a held ball to be called. I usually give each player a good tug. If after that, it's fairly clear that one person will get the ball with another tug, then I let it go. If however, they both have an equal oppoutunity to the ball after the first tug, I call it. Of course, if two players are rolling on the floor, or even falling to the floor, I have a much quicker whislte, usually to prevent an injury.

Mike