View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 11:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
If HS basketball in Oregon wanted real progess, then they would go to the three-whistle system!

Seriously, I don't care what gender or race of people work the games at the state tournament. The fact that people worry about and track this stuff is actually sad.

Who cares if the officials are male or female, or white, black, asian, or hispanic? We should only care about the quality of the job that they do.
I agree.

Ontario went through a phase (still going on maybe) where they were pushing females officials big time. Don't get me wrong - some officials that did rise to higher levels were female, and they deserved it. There were also many female officials that should not have "been there" - mostly in provincial championship tournaments.

It certainly spawned a lot of discussion. The root of the discussions often came down to not caring who was on the game, just as long as they were the best to be presented - be it male or female.

I also remember when I was coaching (and was also in my 3rd year of officiating), a tandem of officials in a town called Trenton. My team was ranked #7 in the province, so of course I'm serious about about chances of winning the provincial title. So this game in Trenton had 2 officials - one guy was cut, bald head, young, and probably didn't have much bad luck with the ladies: he was good looking. The other guy had this (my opinion) ugly hair cut and had an ugly goatee too, and was tall & skinny (and not that good looking). The two of those were awesome together. I remember thinking to myself about the stereotypes I immediately placed on the officials before the game - that one would be a good ref and the other a bad ref.

I certainly was humbled after that game. Who cares if you're male, female, ugly, colour of hair, whatever. What job can you do on the court?

Another example: there's a guy in my former local board who doesn't ref at a high level. I'd say he's competent at grade 8 and below. But, his reproire (sp?) with kids that age is awesome. The kids at that age like him, as do many coaches. He's very much in shape, if you count round as a shape. So who cares what someone looks like, as long as he gets the job done?