View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
I disagree....Runner coming home, catcher gets the ball about 1ft up 3rd base line, runner looks back toward outfield to see where ball is and runs over the catcher. Intentional?- not really, but I'm calling malicious...
Then you are intentionally making a poor decision. Why would you do such a thing?

Malicious means "with malice". In terms of how we are supposed to call it, it means "with intent to harm". How could one have malice or intent to harm in an unintentional collision? That's asinine. Not only do you not have a rule reason for making such a call... but there's no logical reason either. The intent of the malicious contact rule is to penalize someone for trying to hurt someone. A VIOLENT collision can certainly be unintentional - and should not be penalized as malicious.

I don't even understand why you would feel the DESIRE to make such an incorrect call - what's your motivation here?