View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
I too would NOT penalize the defense.

I think we "know" that the clock and horn were linked at 0.9, then you give the stop signal, one second lag comes into play, so the game is over.

BTW, ideally in this situation with so little time left, you would have counted down the last second(s) in your head or with your arm, and then called the game (no whistle until you called the game).
I agree that we should be counting, the players should keep going regardless of the horn (this has happened, sans clock stoppage, in D-I games at my school, and everyone kept going), and we can call the quarter when it is appropriate (I had to do this once this year - thankfully the shot missed!)

However, you CANNOT apply lag time in reverse. The clock does not have to go a full second from the whistle - the rule is that the clock must stop within one second. Also, there is no lag time provision for the clock stopping before the whistle!! If the clock stopped at 0.9 and you didn't have some sort of count, you have to go with the clock at 0.9 seconds.