Thread: UNC/Duke Game
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

The flagrant in the Duke/UNC game got all the media attention because of all the blood, the two teams involved being major programs and big rivals, plus it was played at a good time to garner a large TV audience on the East Coast. However, I was wondering how many people are aware that there was also a flagrant foul called in the St. Mary's/Santa Clara WCC semi-final. This probably got much less attention because the game started a nearly 9PM PST or midnight eastern.
I saw the play and the defender really clocked him in the side of the head as he was airborne and outstretched attempting a lay-in. It was quite nasty. The officials did a great job of calling it flagrant, but I believe not fighting just excessive, so there shouldn't be a suspension.
I don't have a video clip, perhaps someone else can find or post one, but here is the description from the ESPN recap:

"Tempers flared briefly after St. Mary's Brett Collins slammed into Santa Clara's Scott Dougherty as he went up for a layup. Collins was ejected from the game."