View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
We can blow our whistle for a do-over on throwins. If the thrower fumbles the ball when we bounce it to him, we tweet and start over. There's your precedent.

If the player was OOB trying to get back in, you can't call Delay of Game because he was legally OOB. Otherwise, you'd have coaches demanding the DoG warnings and technicals every time a shooter was still OOB following his shot if the other team gets it at their disposal quick enough.

The only other call you could possibly make would be an intentional foul for fouling a thrower on the throwin.
true we can blow a whistle for a "do over" on throw ins. but, the thrower didn't fumble the ball at all. he had possession of it. and i understand your point about the player being legally OOB.

certainly no easy answer other than the one that the official did. but, it certainly has made me think and i think made alot of us other officials think about it too.

thanks for everyone's input so far. i was just wondering what the correct call would be. and i'm still not sure a "do over" is the correct call. why not a throw in violation on the thrower for stepping into the court prior to releasing the ball on the throw in then???? i think i could justify that just as easily as you are justifying a "do over" call, don't you?

thoughts?

Last edited by JohnBark; Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 02:07pm.