View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 03:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill
Can a ref issue a technical foul to a team for misbehavior by their fans?
1) Yes, but it is usually not issued for verbal abuse of officials or the opposing team. In those cases, it's probably better to have the particular fans removed. The technical foul is usually (not always, but ususally) reserved for times when the fans interfere with the game on the court in some fashion. For example, when the fans throw something on the court after the first basket.

2) I agree with Bktballref in that it's usually better to address fan behavior through an AD or other site administrator than to require the head coach to do it. If the head coach IS the site administrator, then do what you have to do.

I had a high school varsity game recently in which a fan blew an air horn in the stands, just as I was about to administer a free throw. I stopped the free throw and my partner went to the table to have them make an announcement. Almost before the announcement started, the home coach was headed across the floor to the opposite side of the court to tell the kids in no uncertain terms to knock it off. So we got support from both the site administrator and the head coach. Nice when it happens that way!