Thread: Need 2 Rulings!
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTedP
I am NOT an official, but STILL playing regulary at 46. Can you guys opine on the following?
1. Player 1 leaves the court intentionally for seconds, then returns. Player 2 sees player 1 returning and passes the ball BEFORE player 1 is back on the court. Player 1 re-establishes position on court while ball is in air, then catches pass. Is this allowed?

2. Player 1 is fakes an 8 foot shot and player 2 turns for rebound, now with back against player 1. Player 1 drives and runs into player 2's back, knocking player 2 down. Is this charging? The argument I heard from ref was one cannot charge into another's back, only facing. This seems absurd, if true.

Thanks, I really enjoy reading your forums!
Your first question has a couple of things going on. I would need to know why he intentionally left the court, i.e. a player attempting to save a ball from going out of bounds would count as this, but I would never call this a violation (the player knew the second he jumped he was leaving the court). Now if the player was being "tricky" so the defense would lose track of him then I would call the violation.

If the officials did not call this a violation (intentionally leaving the court) then the pass and catch was legal.

Your second question this would be a common foul on the offense. While the defender did not have legal guarding position he still has the right to his spot on the floor.