View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Obviously, you hesitate on a ball that may develop into a play at first.

A ball to RC is most likely out of the range, and thought, of F3. On a ball to F4, the BU should have already begun to move into fair territory even before the fielder approaches the ball. If the ball goes through, it is only a few more steps into position.

The idea of the 2-umpire mechanics is to place the umpires in a desired position to cover all possibilities, not just the obvious plays. In a perfect world, foul ground is not a terribly bad place to be, but we all know that occasionally have to work with Ol' Smitty on the plate or a rookie who still hasn't overcome their fascination with a shiny, new indicator.

I've used foul ground, even in the adult game. However, I move into the coach's box. The second I see the possibility of a play disappear or an errant throw is made that will permit the runner to advance, I quickly move inside after the runner, and ball, passes.

BTW, this has nothing to do with masculinity, but umpiring and applies to umpires of all ages and gender.