Thread: Safe Sign
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 01, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

OTH,

Many officials use one or the other and some use both. Contrary to what some will tell you as fact, I feel that it is a style thing and is for the most part not addressed by UIC’s, Crew Chiefs, Observers, Group Leaders, or Coordinators. The emphasis is and should be on did you get it right versus, were your hands open or closed.

I for one use both and did so many times last night. Personally, my subconscious automatically opens my palms on hard safe sells, and closes them on more routine calls, such as check swings, pickoffs, plays on the bases, and balls near DBT.

I have never had anyone tell me that they were marking me down for hand mechanics.

Furthermore, the schools do an excellent job of mass teaching, so they teach standing very tall with arms fully extended and palms open. It is almost military precision, but if you were to watch, I will be bold enough to say every instructor from every school, not one of them uses this type of safe call on a number of their plays. It is more stylistic, and I feel it should be.

Last edited by Durham; Thu Mar 01, 2007 at 11:37am.