View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Same with

It appears that the same principle applies with a runner being called out for receiving a "physical assist." Rule 8-8D says, "[The runner is out] when anyone other than another runner physically assists the runner while the ball is in play." Note the last six words. And the effect is the same: "The ball is in play and the runner is out."

Then the casebook (8.8-49) gives this play: The batter hits a home run over the fence. His teammates shake his hand and pat him on the back between 3B and home. The umpire declares the batter out for being aided by a teammate. RULING: The batter should not have been called out unless the contact is considered to have assisted the runner.

The implication is that he should be called out if he actually is assisted. Frankly, I can't imagine making that call. The intent of the rule was to prevent coaches from gaining an unfair advantage by shoving runners toward a base or picking them up when they fell. Imagine that a guy hits a ball over the fence and then trips over third. The coach catches him in his fall, so the ump calls him out. What advantage did the assist provide? He was going to score anyway, even if he had to crawl home. This falls under the category of rules I'll never enforce.

And I admit it's ridiculous, but the way the rule is written—"anyone other than another runner"—B1 hits the ball over the fence and trips over second, F6 (certainly not another runner!) extends his hand to him, B1 grabs the hand and pulls himself up. Now I call B1 out because someone other than another runner gave him a physical assist?

Perhaps better wording for both passing a runner and physical assist would be something like "Such violation does not make a live ball dead."