View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Why are you so adamant on this? What if the PU covering home runs the risk of putting him in a throwing lane. The BU could have already made it to the point of the plate holding area long ago, be set and waiting for any potential play at the plate. Why not maximize your use of umpires?? I personally have no problem with my partner taking the play at home if I am the PU in the scenario we have discussed. He is already there, ahead of the play.
Not that Steve needs someone to stick up for him, but what scenario can you imagine where the plate umpire, inside the diamond, following this situation, would be in the way. The only possible scenario includes multiple bad throws, so unless the there was an attempt at second base and the throw went to the outfield fence allowing the batter runner to attempt for home, the throw will always come from the outfield third base line/foul territory area. And in the scenario I mentioned, it will be obvious that no play well occur at third and an observant umpire could retreat to the plate directly while watching the runner touch third and get into the standard calling position for this play.

That said, I have no problem relinquishing the plate to my base umpire as long as we communicate. The mechanics are a strong guideline, but sometimes you just have to adjust and I can see no reason why two umpires can't work together to make each job easier and keep umpires ahead of the play. In this case the base umpire has not chased, and even if they had, I still don't see a reason why they are never able to help out and take the plate. Most importantly, I think it is our top responsibility to make sure the play is covered and in the best position possible which means we can't rule out any umpire being at any base at any time for any call.

Now, something I haven't seen mentioned yet, in regards to the OP, is the first base umpire chasing on this play. With no runners on, my first instinct is to think trap possibilities and chase if necessary. This slight delay can sometimes eliminate my chance to get inside for the snap throw so if I don't chase, I stay outside. I think it is important to get inside whenever possible because the mechanics in the book are there to put umpires in the best place possible for all calls in all situations and deviating reduces opportunities in certain situations. I think it is important that an umpire not make this their default mechanic because of this reason and because it dumps effort and responsibility to your plate umpire.