View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
Tony is RIGHT..... unless that fielder is already WAY up close to the infield..and unless its a sharp and I mean ROCKET to the outfield..... you can..and SHOULD get inside...... I DONT mean to question anyones competency..but if you get HIT with a ball in that situation...YOU SCREWED UP...I know that sounds harsh, but its the truth...... on those shots, take one FAST look WHILE YOU ARE ALREADY MOVING..and get inside. you should know where the fielder is before the pitch..... I have no problem with the BU getting to the plate on this BREAKDOWN, but I think that it should be a very rare occurence.

I agree that on 99.9% of the balls hit to right field, we should and can come inside. However, that doesn't mean that everyone will come inside. I had a partner on Saturday that, on a lazy fly hit to the fence in right field, he stayed in foul territory. So...guess who had second and was ready to take third in the event something happened where the runner was able to advance?

The issue we are dealing with here, though, is not what should happen in an ideal umpiring world, but what should happen if the BU goes into foul territory to make a call.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.