View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 03:34pm
rei

Concerning the topic.

Make sure you cover this in your pre-game for sure!

I recently did a game where we didn't, and there was swipe tag on a bad throw at first. At the time, I thought I was 100% that he didn't get a tag and safed him. Of course the defensive coach came out. I didn't go for help (heck yes, I most certainly should have!!! ) and I had no idea if my partner had anything for me because we didn't agree to a signal. Again, I was at the time, 100% sure of my call, but in hindsite, I was only 95% (I didn't see a tag, but I didn't see him not tag either!), and my partner says he got the tag on.

Live and learn I suppose. It was a blow out game and didn't hurt the team, but in a close game, that could have been a game changing mistake on my part. What harm would it have been to ask for help after play was over? None, and it would have made the Head Coach happy. But aside from that, it is just the right thing to do.

On the other end, what can you do? In a close game, in a game changing situation, I think I would say to my partner "Bob, can we talk for a moment" then give him what I got unsolicited. In a blow out, maybe I would stay out of it until he comes to me. It is a tough call. Certainly though, it is your partners call all the way to stay with or change.