View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Blue37, You asked about the mechanics re: the play described earlier. I have no idea what might be suitable under the Rules evolvement that have occurred at the various levels in the past two decades. I can tell you what would have been suggested to you at the George Barr School in the 1950's.
First, if the batter stepped out and the pitcher held up his delivery, the PU would have recognized a duo rules violation, called 'Time and then told them to commence Play. (Might have even told them to 'Stop that Shxx")

In the case at point, the PU has three facts as soon as the Ball leaves the pitchers hand: 1) it is a Legal pitch; 2) he was not asked nor did he give TIME; and 3) the Batter has committed a Rules violation. At that point he can call TIME (on the basis of a number of interpretations); call the pitch a Strike, and proceed on. If the pitch is botched , no matter. It was a dead ball from the moment it left the pitcher's hand as that is when the violation occurred.

So the mechanics were a laconic TIME and STRIKE and a few words to the errant batter. This practice eliminated all possibility of gain by the batter's actions and was deemed in the interest of 'fair competition' which was a requirement placed on officials at that time. Of course, there were then fewer rules and fewer case studies and much more opportunity to invoke 9.01c.

But no more. I yield to current wisdom.