View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
Dispite what is written here by some umpires on the board who are always in perfect postion to see every play and never miss a call it does happen to some of us.

In some situations a partner who is 100% certain he has additional information unknown to the umpire making the call should approach unsolicited and alert the other umpire to such information. However, the ultimate decision to change a call rests with the calling umpire.

If I'm working bases I'll ask my PU, in our pre-game, to alert me if he sees a pulled foot. He doesn't need to wait for me to come to him. Since the objective is to always get the call right I will go for help if I'm not 100% sure. Maybe I'm 99% sure but I'll still go for help if asked.

Some partners workout signals to one another when they have additional information. Be careful with signals because coaches look for things like that and it can be embarrassing when the coach yells, "Go for help, your partner is signaling you" (never happened to me of course).

Great point...it is our job as a "crew" to get the calls right, this is not a judgement call he either pulled his foot or he didn't. If this happen in basketball or football and we got together and offered information they would say that is great crew communication, why is it different is baseball? Are umpires just bull headed?