Thread: Plate Shoes
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial
Ok stupid question... Get ready.... I'll be waiting for all the smart comments. How many times has it happened where you actually got hit on the foot working behind the plate with the plate shoes on? I hear everyone recommending plate shoes (and I'm getting them), but on average, how many times do you get hit in the foot where your plate shoes protect you? Just curious is all......

1st year ump here....Go easy on me.
Here's some food for thought.

The answer to your question, "How many times have I been hit in the foot," is I don't know. I'm sure at least once or twice.

If I wasn't wearing plate shoes, I would be able to tell you, because I'm sure it would have hurt. I'm glad I don't really notice when it happens. Just like many first year umpires, I purchased a "flimsey" chest protector my first year because I was shocked at the price of a good one. One foul ball to the collar bone and I ordered my WV. Don't take the chance... get good equiptment.