Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 05:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Just wondering, do you call the infield fly if the sun is in the fielder's eyes? Doesn't that requires "extraordinary" effort, too?
Not really, he just needs to use the fundamental of using his glove to help shield the sun. And hey, where are his shades? It doesn't qualify as "extraordinary effort," because ordinary effort would require him to locate the baseball in the high sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
You also went on the say the fielder should be waiting to catch the ball without any "extraordinary" effort. So if you have a sky high ball hit in the middle of the infield you wait until the F6 or F4 is camped under the ball? Why wait that long? Is that something you learned from pro school graduates? I call an infield fly as soon as I recognize it meets the qualifications. I guess if you do it your way and no one goes after ball the batter isn't out. What happens then?
I learned not only from pro school graduates how to umpire, but from current (at the time) minor league umpires. We had a very good training system here back then, which included "pro school" style clinics conducted by these pros and school grads. We would do the exact same cage drills, safe/out drills, simulated games, and "managers" comprised of instructors with their hats backward "coming out" on each umpire. It was a simulated pro school environment. So please stop disparaging my umpire training, because it was indeed very similar to that of an actual umpire camp or school training.

To the IFF question, a judgment must be made that an infielder can make a play on the ball with ordinary effort, regardless of where on the field the ball may land. That is the qualifications to which you speak. If you call it sooner than this judgment is made, then you have prematurely called IFF. You also must take into consideration the ability of the fielder in question. Ordinary effort for one may not be for another.

When the ball is over the dugout is not the time to call Infield Fly, IMO. It may have been better to wait until the wind began carrying it back toward fair ground, glance to see if the fielder had drawn a bead on it, then make the "Infield Fly, if fair" call. JMO, I could be wrong.

What do others have to say about this?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25