View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

It's a very nice read. But I'd like to answer the question.

I officiate because I love basketball. I played in high school. I played rec league. I went into coaching when my son was a 7th grader. I coached for 11 years. I filmed games, I ran the clock, I did the books. I owned a team for 2 years ( rec league ). then they closed my high school. I wanted to stay involved. So, I thought, I'll become the only honest referee out there ( because as a coach, I hated referees. ) Now being a referee for 7 years, I love refereeing and I see better that referees don't care who wins ( I thought they did ) and they are just doing the bets job that they can. I know that's what I do every night. I love the exercise. I like helping kids ( sometimes, if the opportunity presents itself I explain to a kid why I called what I did, block or push on a moving screen, coaches don't often explain how to set a pick ) I also, help the kids after a foul is called and they begin to complain, I explain that they should control their expression. And this works well. Now on the Varsity level, I may not do this as much, but middle school and Freshman, I would.

Basketball is the greatest sport that God gave to us. We are here to keep it great. Look at the difference between basketball on a court and on the streets.